High cholestrol is a real concern as, if it is left untreated, it can be a major risk for cardio vascular heart disease.
Many of the medications prescribed for high cholestrol have side effects so it is worth considering drug free products that help lower cholestrol as well as starting a low calorie and low fat diet, losing weight and starting an exercise regime.
Drug free products that help lower cholestrol are:-
Plant sterol and Stanol Products
Manufacturers like Flora and Benecol use plant sterols and stenols in their spreads and drinks. This type of product has been found to lower cholestrol by stopping the absorption of cholestrol from food in the intestines.
Herbs, Spices and Super foods
– Garlic helps lower blood pressure and lower cholestrol.
– Flax seed – available as seeds to sprinkle on food, as an oil or as a supplement. Flax seeds contain Alpha Linolenic acid which is an Omega 3 fatty acid. Flax seeds are also a good source of fibre. Both fibre and Omega 3 fatty acids have been proven to have a cholestrol lowering effect.
– Cayenne Pepper, Cinnamon, Turmeric and Caraway seeds have all be shown to reduce cholestrol.
– Wheat grass – This super food lowers blood pressure and studies on rats in Japan found that it lowered cholestrol.
– Gugulipid – myrrh tree gum. This natural herb is believed to lower “bad” cholestrol and triglycerides in the blood.
– Soya – Canadian research has shown that a vegetarian diet with soya can be as effective as taking cholestrol lowering drugs.
Oats, psyllium fibre, beans and pectin are all great drug free products that help lower cholestrol, they are good for our overall health and they are found naturally in our food too.
Vitamins and supplements
There have been many studies that show that these are drug free products that help lower cholestrol.
– Niacin or Vitamin B3 increases HDL or “good” cholestrol levels.
– Vitamin E – studies have shown that this prevents cholestrol from sticking to the walls of the arteries.
– Calcium Carbonate – some research has shown that this mineral may be effective in lowering cholestrol.
– Vitamin C – research has shown that a lack of Vitamin C, which helps the body to repair and renew artery cells, can cause the body to repair arteries by using cholestrol – not good!
Homeopathic medicines are drug free products that help lower cholestrol but you should visit a homeopath to find out which treatment is best for you.
Homeopathic medicines which may be help to treat high cholestrol are cholesterinum and chelidonium.