High cholestrol can be treated by changing your diet and lifestyle, using drug-free natural methods and products, and also by drugs prescribed by a doctor. Medication can have side effects so it is important to know how to lower your cholestrol naturally.
How to lower your cholestrol by diet
Many people suffer from high cholestrol because of the food that they eat. They have unhealthy diets and consume foods that are too high in saturated fats and full of cholestrol. Saturated fat is found in animal products like whole fat milk, cheese, meat and butter. Another bad fat is trans fat or hydrogenated fat which is found in coconut oil, palm oil, commercially baked foods like cakes, cookies and pastries and also in fast food. These types of bad fat raise our cholestrol levels and put us at a greater risk of coronary heart disease. You can lower your cholestrol by simply replacing the bad fats in your diet with good fats that raise the good cholestrol in the blood to protect yourself against heart disease.
Simple changes to make:-
– Use polyunsaturated spreads instead of butter.
– Cook with olive oil.
– Bake with polyunsaturated spreads or olive oil instead of lard or butter.
– Reduce your intake of meat. Eat more oily fish or eat vegetarian meals and incorporate soya into your diet.
– Use fat free milk or soya milk instead of whole milk.
– Use cholestrol lowering products like those containing plant sterols which lower bad cholestrol and increase good cholestrol.
Fibre is also very important in lowering cholestrol. Soluble fibre is found in beans, pulses, wholegrains and fruit and vegetables. Replace meat in casseroles with beans and pulses, eat more fruit and vegetables and swap your usual processed white bread for a wholegrain bread.
How to lower your cholestrol by exercise
The best way to lower high cholestrol is to combine a healthy low calorie and low fat diet with a regime of aerobic exercise. Aerobic or Cardiovascular exercise works the large muscle groups and the heart and lungs. Not only will it lower your cholestrol but it will help you to lose weight and put you at a lower risk of many serious health problems. Examples of aerobic exercise are brisk walking, jogging, cycling, trampolining, step aerobics, dance aerobics and kick-boxing. Try to exercise at least 3-5 times a week for 20-30 minutes at a time.
How to lower your cholestrol by other natural methods
– Start taking vitamins and supplements known to lower high cholestrol such as Anti-oxidant vitamins (A, C and E) and Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Garlic supplements are also good for cholestrol and for protecting the heart.
– Consume wheatgrass juice – research has found this to be effective in lowering high cholestrol levels.
– Homeopathy – see a Homeopath for advice on which homeopathic medicines might work for you.
– High dose Niacin or Vitamin B3, when prescribed by a doctor, increases levels of good cholestrol.
– Herbs and spices such as Gugulipid, Cayenne pepper, cinnamon, turmeric and caraway seeds have all been shown to lower bad cholestrol levels. Use them in your recipes.
Learning how to lower your cholestrol by natural methods is much better than having to use medication.